Wednesday 18 November 2009

The Sisterhood - Gift

A lost classic 'gothtro' album from 1986.

This was a "fuck you" to Wayne Hussey for daring to call his post-Sisters band The Sisterhood, as Andrew Eldritch rushed this out just as Wayne & co were embarking on a UK tour as The Sisterhood circa 1986. I used to actually have a bootleg of the night where he went, "we're not gonna be called The Sisterhood any more, we're called The Mission", in amongst way too many other goth-related bootleg tapes.

The whole album is littered with references to the lawsuits with The Mission and the record company at the time.

This, on the other hand, features Andrew Eldritch, Lucas Fox from Motorhead, Patricia Morrison from The Gun Club and Alan Vega from R-i-G favourites, Suicide. Fuck me - I never knew Vega was involved until this week when I had a rummage for info about it. I'd completely forgotten about this whole 'project' until my friend Borg posted a video for Giving Ground on Facebook the other day and I tried to find this album. Didn't have any luck but managed to acquire it off the internet and that's what you're getting, albeit with better tags and cover art.

I got this back in the day and listened to it a few times but then it got put to the side. What was I thinking? It's magnificent - you can see what the likes of Ministry must've been listening to at this point. It still sounds fairly up to date I reckon, it's certainly aged better than any Sisters Of Mercy or Mission stuff has. Electronic music fans - you'd be foolish not to give this a bash - fits in nicely with all the dark Corridor-style electronics I've been posting lately.

For a completely WTF?!?! reference, check out the last paragraph of the Wikipedia article regarding an episode of UK tv show, Spooks...



The Sisterhood - Gift
1 - Jihad
2 - Colours
3 - Giving Ground
4 - Finland Red, Egypt White
5 - Rain From Heaven

Buy it here

7 comments:

Captain Howdy said...

A great record, totally underrated and sadly tarred with the Big Goth Brush. Weirdly, i was the only goth i knew who actually liked it!

dan said...

Top album. To complement this post I've uploaded some other Sisterhood bits at www.bugpowderdust.co.uk. Tuck in!

Steve said...

Wow Moggieboy, amazed again at your choice of posts! I'm gonna have to dig out my 7" of 'Giving Ground' and give it a spin...

Anonymous said...

Thanx man! Totaly missed out on this one. Finland Red, Egypt white - they dont make poetry like that anymore...

Stephan Garrec said...

It's funny because this LP found its way back to my turntable this same week !!!
anything about how "Colours" got on the "This corrosion" 12" ?
And, YES, it's absolutely less dated than any Sisters / Mission stuff !

Anonymous said...

I just learned the artist & title of a great song that I heard only once on the US radio in the early '90's: Sisterhood's Finland Red, Egypt White. I've got a question, did the group make a video for it? The video for it on YouTube has websites in some of the pics? Looks like someone did a very good video for the song, or did the group make that video later? Thanks for any info.

Moggieboy said...

I think that's just a very well-made fan video. All the old goths work in new media now...