Friday 16 July 2010

Gavin Friday & Dave Ball / Thomas Brinkmann / Alan Vega - Ghostrider / Diamonds, Furcoats, Champagne / Puss On Tha Time Warp

Latest instalment of the 10" Suicide covers series. Definitely a favourite so far.

Here we go again...

Soft Cell used to do Ghost Rider regularly, so Dave Ball wouldn't have had too much of a job to learn his part again. Mr Virgin Prune delivers a great vocal so a good start to this one. A bit of a Suicide standard, covered by many a cunt over the years so difficult to make a version stand out. Hats off, Gav & Dave.

As a long-time Primal Scream fan, I can honestly say that Thomas Brinkmann's version of DFC beats theirs by a country mile. That's the only 10" I've not posted as I've had a couple of Primals posts pulled and didn't wanna take that chance again. This has a great dirty electronic pulse throughout it which sounds fuckin magic.

An oddly-titled Vega ditty on B1, which I thought was "Fog On The Tyne" the first time I clocked it. That would be something, eh? While on the subject of Suicide, you MUST go and watch the clip of MIA with Martin Rev on the Letterman Show from the other night - it is genuinely AMAZING.

Shit - I've got Fog On The Tyne going through my head now...



Gavin Friday & Dave Ball / Thomas Brinkmann / Alan Vega - Ghostrider / Diamonds, Furcoats, Champagne / Puss On Tha Time Warp
A - Gavin Friday & Dave Ball - Ghost Rider
B1 - Thomas Brinkmann - Diamonds, Furcoats, Champagne
B2 - Alan Vega - Puss On Tha Time

Buy it here

5 comments:

swiss adam said...

That MIA/Rev thing is astonishing

Novemberer said...

Excellent, thanks!

the saucer people said...

Did I really just witness what I think I just witnessed on the David Letterman show?!? My safe, ontologically sound mental world has just collapsed around me...


M.I.A...Rev...Letterman...REV?!?

Love the way he just turns his back at the end when Letterman slimes up to M.I.A. clutching product in his lizard's claws.

The Blast First Petite Suicide covers are pretty damned splendid as well, as an old Prunes & Soft Cell fan, it has to be the David Ball/Gavin Fry workout that gets full marks but all of them are magnificent, even the weirdy FOG ON THE TYNE track...now you have got my head started...freakin' blowback!

PS> Why have Novemberer & Rooksby got the same British soldier circa 1917 profile image? I sense skullduggery afoot....or maybe they just like soldiers ;)

Moggieboy said...

NO!!!! Must get a hold of this! I know what you mean about the rose-tinted hearings...

Moggieboy said...

NO!!!! Must get a hold of this! I know what you mean about the rose-tinted hearings...