Wednesday 1 April 2009

Russ Abbot Cut By The Sabres Of Paradise - Atmosphere (Basildon Bond's Madhouse Mix)

When I first saw this I had to do a double-take – thought I was pretty up on my Sabres stuff, but then I remembered about all the other nonsense that Mr Weatherall was touching up with those godlike hands at this point. I shit you not - I actually heard Martin from Rub-A-Dub play the ORIGINAL version of this outside in Kelvingrove Park at this party they had to commemorate the last day you could drink a carry-out outside before they made it illegal. I remember dancing about when this slowly crept in and after I’d got up off the floor thought, “actually, that’s not too bad a wee tune”.

I heard last year that Mr Abbot himself has bought the performing rights to this and refuses to let it be played on the radio as it is “a dire representation” of his talents. Oh yeah??

Anyway, I reckon Audrey probably knocked this out in about half an hour when he’d had a few, certainly not one of his best but well worth hanging in there for the ending. You’d be a fool not to give it a listen…



Russ Abbot Cut By The Sabres Of Paradise - Atmosphere (Basildon Bond's Madhouse Mix)

Buy it here

9 comments:

nathan said...

Thanks for all the hard work and great reviews. Always keeping an eye out on this blog for early 90s techno gems... and I'm one of your 44 subscribers. Woo!

roadtested said...

Is this for real??? haha This is awesome

Ctelblog said...

Thanks for this. But didn't it originally come as part of a double 12" with "Shaddap Your Face (Take Your Techno Gods And Bury Them)". It would be reat is you also had that mix.

Simon said...

I heard Russ turned down the originalluy-commissioned Shamen mixes as he thought Mr C sounded "like Dick Van Dyke crossed with Professor Yaffle". Bella Emberg was seen at Sabresonic a couple of times in the months after this was released.

swissadam said...

Ha. Good work. Have actually listened to this twice. Must now delete it from my hard drive before I start singing it.

Anonymous said...

Genius, but not as good as the Fake Blood Remix of Darude's Sandstorm...

DG said...

Mr Weatherall surprises once again. I'll try and locate the little known "Theme from 'Bottle Boys' (Maurizio dub remix)". It's quite extraordinary, all echoic clinking and whirring sounds, with the trapped, crushed voice of Robin Askwith mumbling incomprehensible madness from the outer void.

Ben said...

I remember those outdoor parties in Kelvingrove, by that little amphitheatre thing right?

Moggieboy said...

Well that was fun. Shame that fucking shitey remix keeps haunting me just as I'm going to bed or other such 'captive' times.

Ben - yep them were those parties.

Back to the program now...