Wednesday 28 January 2009

The Grid - A Beat Called Love / Floatation (remixes)

Bit of an oldie here (1990), The Grid were the first ever dance act I saw live, at The Arches in Glasgow roundabout the release of the classic 456 album. It blew me away - I didn't realise this kinda shit could be done live. This was their first proper release, with a Heller & Farley remix of the A-side and an excellent Olimax & DJ Shapps (not Weatherall!) remix of Floatation on the B-side. It bears a passing resemblance to one of the tracks they did with Kool Aid-era Big Audio Dynamite as well. Oh, did I mention the "Walking In The Air" sample...? I've missed off the 7" version of A Beat Called Love because who gives a fuck...

A classic case of a great act becoming instantly shit upon a novelty hit single, a few years later. It pains me to even think of that banjo thing...



The Grid - A Beat Called Love (A Beat Called Club)
The Grid - Floatation (Progressive Mix)

Link removed due to DMCA complaint. Ooops.


Buy it here

2 comments:

The Scribe of Rotten Hill said...

Well done for spotting the light "reusage" of a few ideas from Floatation on In My Dreams :-)

Moggieboy said...

Another BAD fan? We are few and far between...